You may have caught my previous post about the new Phil's Barbershop in J Salon http://mypointofheu.weebly.com/blog/a-cut-above-the-rest-at-phils-barber-shop, well this is the continuation of that post moving from the top of the head to the face. Seeing as how I am a female and don't really qualify for a straight razor face shave, my hubby was once again the guinea pig. He let his facial hair grow out for about a month and I was eagerly awaiting this shave because I love a clean-shaven look and how it feels.
Hunter Wilson is a Mililani resident who studied at the Hawaii Institute of Hair design and has been a professional barber going on 4 years now. He admits that he practiced on his girlfriend's legs while he was in school, now he is one of the most popular in the area, booked weeks in advance. "What's cooler than giving a shave with a straight razor?" Wilson said.
This 12-step process is like a pampering follicle facial for men, complete with specialty products that include cleansing, exfoliating, essential oils to soften the beard, toner and moisturizer too. My hubby literally fell asleep in the chair!
Phil's offers a Gentleman's shave $50 and a Classic Shave $40. Here's a look at what's involved during The Gentleman's Shave:
1. Depending on the length of your hair/beard you may need a trim, as Daniel did.
2. A hot towel infused with menthol, rosemary, eucalyptus, camphor and spearmint to prepare your skin and soften the hair is applied.
3. Then a cleanse and exfoliation combo with Baxter of California’s Daily Face Wash and Facial Scrub.
4. A second hot towel.
5. A protective layer of Super Close Shave Formula is applied
6. Another hot towel.
7. Shaving cream is applied to the face in a rich, hot lather.
8. Traditional straight razor is used to shave with the grain first.
9. Then re-lather and shave once more against or across the grain for closeness, Daniel's skin is a bit sensitive so we opted for across the grain.
10. A final lavender essential oil cold towel is applied.
11. Followed by the Herbal Mint Toner and Oil Free Moisturizer, replenishing the skin’s moisture after the shave.
12. Finally an After-Shave Balm is used to nourish and soothe freshly shaven skin.
After all the warm towels Daniel said the cold towel at the end was refreshing and he enjoyed the process very much. He hadn't seen the skin on his face like this since he was a kid and prior to puberty. It was so soft and so smooth, literally like a new born baby's bottom. What an awesome experience! It really is like a facial for men with all process of softening the hair, smoothing the skin, toning, moisturizing and etc.
"Everytime I finish, I feel like I have achieved the utmost level of manliness," Wilson said. So who would get this done and when? Well some men who like to be well-groomed and pampered could get this done once a week. For those who are a little less interested in maintenance perhaps every two weeks or to prep for a special occasion. I would've loved to have my man get this done the morning of Valentine's Day so the rest of the day he is clean-shaven and kissable all over!
Thank you Joe and Hunter for the awesome experience.
Visit Phil's Barbershop located in J Salon and tell um Olena sent ya!
Phil's Barber ShopLocated inside J Salon210 Ward Avenue #101
Honolulu, Hawaii 96814